This creative (and hungry) student uses a primitive toaster oven to cook a steak in what looks like a fraternity house. Judging from the condiments, the open can, and the electric cooking eye in the background, cooking in the residence halls during the late 1960s was a common occurrence.
Student leaders posing on the front steps of Winston Hall for their photograph for the Kaleidoscope, the annual yearbook.
The Winston Hall fire of the early-1940s. At the time, the building was being used as the College’s library. Since then it has been the dining hall and the Fine Arts building. The burned-out building was not repaired for many years as the College (and the rest of the country) recovered from World War II. Francis Bailey ’43 says he was a member of the volunteer fire department at the time but missed the whole thing because he slept through the alarm.
A fire in a residence hall severely burned a student as he desperately searched the building for his missing friend. Now, the Hampden-Sydney College community has come together to help the two friends as they recover from the event. It’s a wonderful, though unfortunate, illustration the kind of young men who come to Hampden-Sydney.